I provide legal services for both sporting organisations and individual athletes facing the unique challenges of playing a professional or amateur sport. Each face their own set of legal issues that impact their sporting lives, ranging from the legal ways to set up and manage a team or club, to licensing, sponsorship, insurance issues, tax regulations, employment law, communication with stakeholders and management of player/club procedures with regard to keeping fit and healthy.
I provide assistance to athletes and sporting organisations by providing legal advice for:
- Media and broadcast compliance
- Drafting of sponsorship agreements
- Trademark protection
- Merchandising law
- Sports endorsements
- Protection of intellectual property for teams, athletes and sporting events, including the usage of names, logos, images and signage.
- Public liability law for sporting venues – including guidelines for safety.
- Sports governance – including advice on legislation, setting up business entities, drafting constitutional laws/by-laws, and advice for club directors.
- Advice on matters involving performance-enhancing drugs – including assistance with drafting anti-doping policies and legal representation for athletes in court.
My clients include sporting organisations, athletes, event organisers, teams, agents, government agencies and sponsors of sporting events.